Applications are invited for multiple Postdoctoral Research Fellowship and Staff Researcher positions in text mining at the Health Language Processing (HLP) Lab (www.healthlanguageprocessing.org), within the Institute of Biomedical Informatics, Perelman School of Medicine, at the University of Pennsylvania.
The successful candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or Biomedical Informatics, with emphasis in Natural Language Processing/Text Mining, machine learning, artificial intelligence, visualization or related areas.
- Strong interest in health-related domain applications.
- Excellent programming skills.
- Strong publication record on reputable conferences/journals.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
The following skills are desirable:
- Knowledge about biomedical domain.
- Experience in working with health-related text.
- Experience in interdisciplinary research.
- A strong record in development of open source research systems (e.g., systems available via github or bitbucket).
- Experience in working with big data.
- Strong programming skills in Python.
There are several ongoing projects at the HLP lab, focusing on innovative biomedical and health-related text mining from social media, clinical notes and published literature. Specific problems include, but are not limited to, supervised, semi-supervised, and unsupervised methods for classification, named entity recognition, and concept normalization. We are also working on more advanced text-derived knowledge analysis (such as visualization, assessment of coverage, and decision support systems). The successful candidate will be working under the supervision of Dr. Graciela Gonzalez.
Initial deadline for applications: Dec 20th, 2016.
The successful applicant will get the opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary research environment and will receive mentorship from senior academics and research personnel. There will also be ample opportunities to submit to the best research conferences and journals.
The University of Pennsylvania is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Additionally, the Perlman School of Medicine ranked 3rd among the best medical schools in the United States in 2016, the 19th year in a row that it has been ranked among the top five medical schools. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
For Postdoc applications send inquiries or direct application (cv/resume) to:
Dr. Graciela Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For staff applications:
Senior Staff Scientist (ideally for someone w 4-5 years of relevant postdoc or professional experience and a PhD): https://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/24595
For a Junior developer/staff scientist (ideally having a minimum of 2 years of professional or post doc experience and a PhD): https://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/24594
For a lead annotator (ideally with experience in NLP annotation or scientific curation, and/or a degree in Biomedical Informatics, or other health-related discipline): https://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/24676
Entry level staff annotator position, no prior experience required, ideally with a degree in a health-related domain: https://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/24678